In what ways has the Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read program been updated from the original program?
October 7, 2016Hooked on Phonics
The updated Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read program aligns with the most current Common Core Standards for Reading Foundational Skills for Kindergarten through Second Grade, including:
- Concepts of Print
- Phonological Awareness
- Letter-Sound Correspondence
- High-Frequency Word Recognition
The new version has many more layers to it. There is now something for every kind of learning style:
- For Visual learners, there are DVDs with videos that illustrate the concepts as well as workbooks that allow children to follow along as they watch.
- For Auditory learners, there are silly, sing-along songs to help children remember the concepts being taught.
- For Physical (Kinesthetic) learners, there are flash cards and suggestions for off-the-page activities using real-world objects. In addition, there are online games that allow children to interact with the words and practice the skills.
It comes with a library of 36 storybooks- some written by award-winning authors- that are custom-created for the purpose of setting the child up for reading success.
It’s fun! The videos are cute. The songs are silly and catchy; they make the kids want to dance. The program is set up so that the child is rewarded at every step.
The new Learn to Read now has a mobile app (of the same name), which allows families to help their kids learn how to read on smartphones and tablets.